The Seventh edition of TOFAC (Toyin Falola International Conference on Africa and the African Diaspora) was held at Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo, Ondo State in Olusegun Obasanjo Auditorium on July 3-5 2017. The theme of the conference was “Education and Africa’s Transformation.”
The event kicked off with an opening ceremony and the arrival of dignitaries and participants from around the world. After that, Prof. Toyin Falola made introductory remarks.
Highlights from the Event
- Prof. Jermaine Abidogun from Missouri State University, USA talked on “Reclaiming African Education: A Call for Synergetic Education.”
- Prof C.O.O. Kolawole from the University of Ibadan, Nigeria focused on the Sustainable Development Goal 4
- Prof. Fallou Ngom from the Boston University, Massachusetts, USA spoke about the African Diaspora in the Educational System with reference to Nelson Mandela’s quote “Education is the most powerful weapon that can be used to change the world.”
- In the midst of the Keynote Addresses, there was a cultural interlude called the Obitun Dance.
- His Royal Majesty, Alayeluwa Adedokun Omoniyi Abolarin, The Royal Count of Orangun Ajagunla; Oke-Ila Orangun made an emotional speech about the value of Education and the African Culture. He also talked about his free education program that supports kids from the poor socioeconomic background.
- Green Institute represented by Akinsemolu Adenike, Kamundala Janvier, Onyeche Kehinde, Abdelhay Mahmoud featured in Panel D session titled “Science and Innovative Systems.”
- Participants from Green Institute presented a paper titled “Green Cooking and Market in the Sub Sahara Africa: A Holistic Review of Current State and Future Demands.
- The event ended with a dinner reception and awards at Oba Adesanoye Civic Center Ondo.
- Participants also enjoyed themselves with a visit to the historic Idanre Hills.